Line Calls and Other Pickleball Nonsense by Terry Ryan
First of all, let me point out that I am a female. Yes, one of the brazen OVER 60 year olds that dare step foot on the pickleball court. I will admit, my opponents are typically men. I caught the pickleball bug (by the way, my mother calls it tickleball) when I was playing racquetball a the Y when out of the corner of my eye I saw people hitting a whiffle ball over a low net. What really caught my eye is they looked like they were having so much fun, and I had to check it out.
Yep, it was fun and ADDICTING. Soon I was learning terms like “kitchen” and “dinking.” This opened a whole new world of athletic fun. I now talk non-stop about pickleball, much to the dismay of my non-pickleball friends.
So, I have complied a list of dos and don’ts for beginner pickleballers.
- Stay out of the kitchen
Don’t call a ball out unless you really know it is out
- Always support your partner
- Learn to tap each other’s paddle I like to call paddle love
- Hitting soft is usually more deadlier than hitting hard
- Try to stay with your level of players instead of messing up a game of better players
- Bring water and a towel…bandages too
- Don’t take it overly serious…it’s pickleball
- Get there early and help put up nets or help take them down
- Don’t be overly aggressive and aim for someone’s face
- Always go to the net at the end of the game and congratulate the winners
- Participate in tournaments
- Play at different places so you see how well other people play
- Don’t argue…it’s not worth it
- Do not throw your paddle
- Do not hit yourself with your paddle
- If it isn’t tournament play, then don’t obnoxiously keep hitting the ball to the weaker player
- If it costs $2.00 to play, don’t say…I’ll pay you next time. Pay then.
Pickleball is a great game that provides exercise and socialization for Boomers but watch-out! The younger generation is catching on. I heard that it is now being taught in high school. Darn, I thought us Boomers had it all to themselves.
Thanks for reading,